Are you an explorer seeking an adventure? Moron Oasis (also called the Moron Lagoon), a beautiful oasis near the town of Bernales, is the ultimate destination for explorers looking for an off-the-beaten path experience in Peru. It’s perfect to stop in at after a day in Pisco or Paracas.
The Moron Oasis is a hidden gem, as you will find only locals here – no tourists. It’s a much less touristy alternative to the oasis in Huacachina. It must be how the popular Huacachina oasis used to be except that this lake is much larger and the dunes much lower.
Explore this serene oasis and experience nature’s tranquility enveloping you. Relax in a secluded cabin surrounded by unspoiled dunes and vegetation, while taking pleasure in a picnic with a view. Spend your day swimming refreshingly unpolluted waters with an abundance of lively fish species around you, keeping watch as birds soar across the brilliant blue sky.
From fishing to kayaking, and swimming to sandboarding, there’s something for all types of adventurers to do here. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing break or some thrills, this lagoon can provide it—plus, it offers gorgeous views as a bonus!
In this ultimate explorer’s guide to Moron Lagoon in Pisco, Peru, we’ll uncover everything from fun activities to interesting facts about this special place. So grab your gear and let’s explore Moron Lagoon together!
📍 Pisco, Peru
📝 Reasons to Visit Moron Oasis
The road to Moron Oasis is not easy, but the incredible beauty found in this lesser-known lagoon makes each step worthwhile. Once you arrive and behold its breathtaking views, you won’t regret it.
Here are just some of the reasons you’ll want to visit:
- Off the beaten path: Discover this hidden oasis nestled away from the tourists’ trail. Unwind, embark on a journey of exploration with your loved ones, surrounded by natural beauty that’s been untouched for centuries – it’s guaranteed to give you an unforgettable experience!
- The scenery: There’s lots of visual stimuli to entertain the curious flaneur at this beautiful desert oasis. It’s well-known for its spectacular sunsets, and the clear, turquoise waters of the oasis are a perfect respite from the harsh desert landscape. The nearby sand dunes and mountains. make for a perfect backdrop. It’s an artist’s dream.
- The sunset: The clear, blue sky provides the perfect backdrop for the orange and red hues that seem to set the desert on fire. As the sun slowly dips below the horizon, it paints the sky with its last rays of light, creating an unforgettable show that can’t be missed.
- The tranquility: This hidden oasis in the middle of the harsh desert landscape of Peru is the perfect place to find peace and tranquility, and escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The natural surroundings and tranquil atmosphere make it the perfect place to relax and unwind.
Moron Oasis is actually one of the most underrated places in Peru. If you visit Paracas, Pisco or Ica it’s one of the best side trips you can take. This hidden oasis can be easily reached from popular spots in Peru, making it an easy and fun day trip option.
📜 A Brief History of Moron Oasis
Shrouded within the desert of Peru lies the Moron Oasis. Stretching 300 meters long and 150 meters wide, its waters reach 8 metres deep, providing a tranquil sanctuary from the sizzling sun.
Legends of lost fortunes, daring bandits and forgotten oases fuel fantasy in this curious desert lagoon. Mineral-rich groundwater maintains flora and fauna alive here since the times of notorious Peruvian bandit Morón who spread his wealth amongst the neediest villagers after stealing from wealthy landowners nearby.
The living remembrance to him found its name originating from local mythology that hints at how he hid part of his loot somewhere near the water’s edge before disappearing into thin air with a heavy heart — or so tales say when you see someone on horseback crossing over these hills around midnight.
- Region: Pacific Desert
- Latitude: 13.7601° S
- Longitude: 75.9861° W
- Depth: 8 meters
- Size: 300 x 150 meters
- Meaning: Named after José Morón, the Peruvian Robin Hood
Here are just some of the things you might observe along the way while meandering around Moron Oasis:
The Andes Mountains near the Moron Oasis in Pisco are a beautiful sight to behold. The rolling red peaks are a stunning contrast against the bright blue sky, and the winding roads that snake through the mountains are an adventure to drive on.
The desert fields on the drive the Moron Oasis are a sight to behold. They’re filled with waving fields of corn, and the sunsets here are spectacular. It’s a great place to take a walk or just relax and take in the natural beauty around you.
Rolling Sand Dunes
The oasis is known for its rolling sand dunes that tower above the desert landscape. The dunes are a popular tourist attraction and offer a unique view of the Andes Mountains.
The Moron Oasis in Pisco desert is a surreal sight to see. With towering mountains, rolling sand dunes, and a peaceful lagoon all in one place, it’s easy to understand why this oasis is such a popular stop for travelers. Whether you’re looking to take in the natural beauty of the area or just looking for a place to rest and cool off, the Moron Oasis is definitely worth a visit.
The Moron Oasis in Pisco is a beautiful spot to watch the sunset. The desert landscape and the bright orange sky make for an amazing view.
When visiting the Moron Oasis, come and explore a world of possibilities! Here are just some of the things you can do here:
Take in the views
Now that you’ve arrived at this paradise in the middle of the desert, enjoy the incredible scenery.
Moron Oasis is a place where you can take in the stunning views of the Pisco Valley. The oasis is located at an elevation of 4,600 meters above sea level and is a perfect spot to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the area. From here, you can see the Andes Mountains in the distance and the fertile valley below. The oasis is also a great place to watch the fiery sunset.
Moron Oasis is a picturesque swimming hole in the middle of the desert near Pisco, Peru. The water is cool and refreshing, and the surrounding cliffs provide a beautiful backdrop. It’s a great place to spend a hot day relaxing in the lagoon.
Experience an adrenaline rush with a sandboarding adventure! For only 5 soles, you can rent your very own board and hit the dunes. If you don’t spot any rentals nearby, just look for Mr. Placido’s little house at the top of the hill. He has boards available to rent — 1h30 riding time will cost 15 soles!
Get ready to explore the tranquil lagoon in your own kayak — a perfect way to relax! Just 40 minutes and only 5 soles per person – come see why so many adventurers are paddling away in this tropical paradise. The clear water and lush vegetation make for a stunning setting to explore via kayak.
Hike through the dunes
Moron Oasis offers a unique hiking experience through the sand dunes. The oasis is known for its clear turquoise waters and lush vegetation, which make for a beautiful and peaceful setting. As you explore the desert and take in different perspectives of the lagoon below, you can admire the interesting contrast to the surrounding desert landscape.
Spend the night camping
Moron Lagoon is a great place for an outdoor getaway, offering the chance to revel in nature. And now you can experience it like never before by camping overnight. All you need to do is luxuriate in your favorite spot and set up camp. With few fellow night-time visitors, this peaceful paradise will be just yours as sundown approaches.
🧳 Items to Pack in the Suitcase
- Small backpack. Bring along a backpack to comfortable pack all the items you’ll need for the day.
- Light shoes. Ensure your shoes are comfy and fit for a steep hike.
- Jacket or windbreaker. In a location like this where the winds can be unpredictable and intense, some warm clothing is recommended just in case.
- Camera. Be sure to pack a camera to snap some shots of the amazing landscapes.
- Sunblock. An essential item for the hike to avoid burns and reduce sun exposure.
- Insect repellent. Protect yourself from mosquitoes which can frequent the area at certain times of year.
- Swimsuit. Pack your swimsuit so you can enjoy the relaxing waters.
- Water. Be sure to hydrate regularly in the desert heat.
- Snacks. Bring some food with you so you can be more comfortable and enjoy yourself along the trail or at the beach. It’s the perfect place for a picnic!
- Cash. There is no ATM for miles, so be sure to bring all the money you require for the day.
🧭 How to Get to Moron Oasis
Car from Lima
The quickest way from Lima (ex. Kennedy Park in Miraflores) is as follows:
- Get on Ctra. Panamericana S/Route 1S in Santiago de Surco from Ca. San Martin, Av. Alfredo Benavides, Av. Santiago de Surco and Av Tomás Marsano
- Follow Ctra. Panamericana S/Route 1S and Aup. Panamericana Sur/Panamericana Sur to Ica
- Take exit 12
Note: The route may have paid tolls. Free parking can be found nearby the oasis and it’s a short walk from there.
Car from Ica
The quickest way from Ica (ex. Huacachina) is as follows:
- Take Huacachina to Ctra. Panamericana S/Av de los Maestros/Route 1S in Ica
- Follow Ctra. Panamericana S/Route 1S, Aup. Panamericana Sur/Panamericana Sur and Route 28A
- Follow the back roads to Moron Oasis
Note: The route may have paid tolls. Free parking can be found nearby the oasis and it’s a short walk from there.
Bus from Lima
From Lima, you can take a 4-hour bus journey to San Clemente, which is located on the side of the highway about 20 minutes before reaching Pisco.
From San Clemente, you can find buses that go to Bernales for 4 soles. You can ask the driver if he can take you from Bernales to the Moron Oasis. There are also taxis or motorcycle taxis that can take you from Bernales to Moron Oasis for 10-15 soles.
Bus from Pisco
If you are in Pisco, there are buses that run to Bernales, the town nearest to the lagoon. Sometimes you can ask the bus driver to take you directly to the lagoon for a small additional payment.
If not, taxis or motorcycle taxis can take you to the oasis from Bernales for 10-15 soles.
Private transportation is a great option for getting to Moron Oasis. You can take a taxi from Paracas or Lima and negotiate the price with the driver.
If you use taxis, Uber or other ride-sharing apps during your stay in the cities, you can ask the driver for their contact.
There is no transportation options or taxi drivers waiting for passengers at the end of the day. Just remember to coordinate ahead of time! If you arrive via private transportation or small bus the lagoon, ask if your driver can come back to pick you up later. Be sure that you get the driver’s cell phone number so you can contact them as needed.
Alternatively, talk to the guard at the oasis to arrange for a pick-up.
There is no cost for entry to Moron Oasis. The only expense you’ll need to factor in when visiting will be transportation and whatever you buy while in the area.
Exploring the lagoon is an adventurous escape from reality, but be sure to come prepared! Having snacks and plenty of water on hand will give you peace of mind as temperatures can soar in this desert haven.
There’s a helpful guard between 7 am and 6 pm for anything else that might arise during your visit.
When swimming in the lagoon, just make sure not to slip up – literally – its algae-covered flooring can be slippery!
Frequently Asked Questions Moron Oasis
What is the best time to visit the Morón Lagoon?
Moron’s warm climate makes it a popular destination year-round, but its peak season is December through March. Pack the sunscreen to take advantage of sunny days during this time! When visiting outside these months be sure to bring an extra layer – you’ll need it when strong desert winds pick up in the pre-dawn or dusk hours.
How much does the entrance to the Moron Oasis cost?
Get ready for a day of adventure at Moron Oasis! Admission is free, but you can pay to experience optional activities like sandboarding and kayaking.
How do I get from Lima to Moron Oasis?
There are a few different options for getting from Lima to Moron Oasis. You can take a bus, car, or arrange private transportation. However, the most popular way to get there is by taking a bus. The bus ride usually takes around 4 hours and there are a few different companies that offer this service.
How do you get to Moron Oasis without a car?
There are a few ways to get to Moron Oasis without a car. You could take a taxi, but that can be expensive. A more affordable option is to hire a private driver. Alternatively, you could take the bus to San Clemente then pay a driver to bring you to the lagoon. Just be sure to arrange for pickup as well.
Have you been to Moron Oasis? What was your experience like? Leave a comment and let us know!
Originally Published: December 7, 2022
✍️ Cusco, Peru